Whether you live right on the water, or your property is close by, there is a unique lifestyle afforded to those who choose to live in waterfront communities. Activities like kayaking, boating, swimming, fishing, water tubing, jet skiing and even sightseeing are all available in your very own backyard. But, even being steps away from paradise can have its drawbacks if you don’t know the tricks of the trade! Here are some of our favorite suggestions for making the most of your waterfront lifestyle.
- Be Prepared! Coastal living means living with big storms. Whether it’s the daily summer thunderstorms or the threat of an impending hurricane, not being prepared for these types of events is a rookie move. Make sure you educate yourself (and your family) on how to prepare your outdoor spaces for a big storm, and don’t be afraid to practice your storm procedures! Storms can sometimes “come out of nowhere” leaving property owners just a few hours (or less) to lock everything down and protect it from the impending barrage of rain, wind and lightning!
- Stay Safe! While it might seem like an obvious statement, there are a lot of safety hazards that homeowners can overlook. We recently posted about some of the most common issues we come across when inspecting boat lifts, docks and decks, and seawalls for our clients. Take a look at this post about waterfront safety, and don’t hesitate to contact us if you think your structures might need some maintenance, or to be replaced.
- Accessorize! Once you’ve done the (very important) work of preparing your family with a set plan in the event of a storm, and have ensured that your outdoor structures are all up to code and in tip-top shape, it’s time to enjoy the fruits of your labor! One of our favorite ways to do this is by adding some accessories to your outdoor space. One of the requests we get most often is for underwater lighting (especially from our avid fishermen). Adding underwater lighting on your dock or deck can transform your space into a beautiful oasis and attract many different kinds of fish!
- Decorate! Whether you want your backyard to feel like an extension of your living room, or you’re looking for prime sunbathing real estate, there are endless possibilities when it comes to outdoor décor. Our favorite resource for inspiration is Pinterest, believe it or not. But, if you need some inspiration that goes beyond the computer screen, give one of our professionals a call to come out and give you personalized suggestions for how to transform your outdoor space.
- Enjoy! We may have our own ideas for how best to enjoy a waterfront oasis, but we’d like to hear from you! What are some of your favorite waterfront lifestyle perks? How have you personalized your space, and what do you do to enjoy it? Next time you’re out there, snap a picture and share it with us in the comments below.